Another day. Another lousy article making the rounds. This one uses autistic as a term to connote cold and emotionless. Woohoo! That stereotype lives on. I would write about it except I already have. And that’s the thing. A lot of these silly concepts are ones I’m tired of addressing. So I’m doing us all a favor. This is a checklist of things we never want to discuss ever again.
- We are emotional. In fact having to explain this makes us angry.
- We are not unempathetic. But telling us repeatedly that we’re unable to feel empathy suggests you might be.
- We are perfectly capable of happy lives.
- We do not all have amazing superpowers. Seriously quit using Sherlock Holmes to represent us.
- Yes, we have special interests you don’t get. So what? Don’t you?
- We are not incapable of love. The movies lie to you.
- We know all about Sheldon Cooper. Keep talking and we’ll quit being nice about him.
- Our skills are just as varied as yours are. Many of us are incapable of success in STEM fields.
- We do not need to just adapt to the outside world. What harm does it do you to let us be us? It’s traumatic to do otherwise.
- Vaccines don’t cause autism.
- Seriously, we are not incapable of emotion.
- We can hear everything you say about us. We are literate by and large.
- Stop listening to non autistic people as authorities about us. We are trying to explain our lives clearly. You aren’t listening!
- Autistic as an insult is an insult to us. Quit.
This is just a quick list. I’ll gladly add more as the topics are suggested.